Fire Damage Emergency Tips

What you can do until help arrives

Water Tips  |  Fire Tips   |  Biohazard Tips   |  Mold Tips

The 8 Most Common Fire Hazards

It is important to be aware of the dangerous that live in our everyday lives. Knowledge of these can help people understand and be more cautious when exposed to these experiences.

  1. Candles - candles are notorious for causing thousands in damage when left unattended.
  2. Cigarettes - when improperly disposed of, cigarettes can ignite dry materials quickly.
  3. Electrical Wires - if homes and businesses neglect electrical wiring, it can spark and electrical fire.
  4. Lint Traps - it is common for homeowners to forget to clean out their dryer's lint traps, which can lead to a potential fire.
  5. Lightning - although an act of nature, lightning can spark fires if home owners don't take the precautions of closing umbrellas and other items around the home.
  6. Matches/Lighters - if in the wrong hands (children), matches or lighters can have lethal damage.
  7. Christmas Trees - when not kept hydrated, dry Christmas trees have the potential to ignite from candles or faulty electrical cords.
  8. Cooking - neglecting items that are cooking in the kitchen causes ovens fires.

If you experience a fire in your home or business, call SERVPRO of Tri-Cities Plus at 804.458.7290.

Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (804) 458-7290

What To Do After A Fire

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
  • Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
  • Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
  • Change HVAC filter.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.

What NOT To Do After A Fire

  • Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
  • Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
  • Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
  • Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.